- M.Eng (University of Sydney), B.E. B.Sc. C.P.Eng, NPER
- Corporate Member, Engineers Australia (MIEAust)
- Member, Australasian Wind Engineering Society (AWES)
- Standards Australia and New Zealand BD6-002 Wind Actions on Structures Committee Member.
- CTBUH Committee Member for Wind Tunnel Testing and Damper Design
- Australasian Wind Engineering Society Committee Member for the Wind Engineering Quality Assurance Handbook.
Tony has over 25 years’ combined experience as both researcher and consultant in wind engineering. His postgraduate studies were on the subject of “Reliability of Wind Tunnel Estimation of Wind Pressures on Cladding of Building Facades”. His research experience includes a sensitivity study of the various parameters that affect wind tunnel results and has published a number of papers on this subject. Prior to this Tony had undertaken research on the effect of neighbouring buildings on wind-induced vibration of tall/ slender buildings, the results of which have been incorporated within the Standards.
Tony Rofail is a Director of Windtech and has been with the company since 1991. Since that time he has been Windtech’s principal consultant. Tony has undertaken and supervised over 2,500 wind engineering studies including wind tunnel investigations for various high-rise buildings, large roof and stadium building projects throughout Australia and Asia including the Middle East. These include numerous landmark developments.
Over the past few years, Tony has developed innovative techniques in the study of the dynamic response of tall buildings that exhibit complex modal behaviour.
Tony is on the Wind Loading sub-committee of the Australian and New Zealand Standards and was on the executive committee of the Australasian Wind Engineering Society (AWES) between 1998 and 2006. While on the AWES committee in 1998-1999, Tony was responsible for the preparation of the draft AWES Quality Assurance Manual for wind tunnel studies of dynamic overall wind loads on structures. Tony is a corporate member of the Institution of Engineers, Australia.
Reliability of Wind Tunnel Techniques
- A.W. Rofail and K.C.S. Kwok, 1989, “A Statistical Analysis of Parameters Relating to the Sampling and Analysis of Wind Loads in Wind Tunnels”, Workshop on Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Melbourne, 5-7 December, pp.24-26.
- A.W. Rofail and K.C.S. Kwok, 1990, “The Effect of Facade Features on Cladding Pressures”, Proceedings of the Second National Structural Engineering Conference, Adelaide, 3-5 October, pp.109-114.
- A.W. Rofail and K.C.S. Kwok, 1991, “A Reliability Study of Wind Tunnel Results for Cladding Pressures”, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Wind Engineering, 8-12 July. Later published in the Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics.
- A.W. Rofail, 1994, “Full-scale/ Model-scale Comparisons of Wind Pressures on the TTU Building”, 9th International Conference on Wind Engineering, New Delhi, India.
- C. Mans, T. Rofail, 2003 “Effect of Balustrades on Building Cladding Pressures”, 10th Australasian Wind Engineering Society Workshop, Sydney, Australia, February 6-7, 2003.
- A.W. Rofail, R. Tonin and D. Hanafi, 2004, “Sensitivity of frequency response to type of tubing”, Australasian Wind Engineering Workshop, Darwin, June 28-29, 2004.
- A.W. Rofail, 2013 “How Reliable are Wind Tunnel Results?” 6th Ultra High-Rise Building Summit, 27-28 March 2013, Shanghai. Invited Paper.
- L.J.Aurelius and A.W.Rofail, “Discussion Paper: Structural Damping”, 12AWES Workshop, Queenstown, February 2006
- A.W. Rofail and J.D. Holmes, 2007, High frequency base balance methodology for linked tall buildings, 12th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Cairns Australia July 2007.
- A.W. Rofail, 2008, Wind Actions on Unusual Structures, Australasian Structural Engineering Conference 2008, Melbourne June 2008.
- J.D. Holmes and A.W. Rofail, 2008, Recent developments in prediction of wind-induced fatigue life, 8th UK Conference on Wind Engineering, Guildford, June 2008.
Wind Loads on Façades and Façade Elements
- L.J.Aurelius and A.W.Rofail, “Inter-Tenancy Wall Design for Tall Buildings with Operable Facades”, 12AWES Workshop, Queenstown, February 2006
- A.W. Rofail and K.C.S. Kwok, 1990, “The Effect of Facade Features on the Wind Pressure Distribution on Buildings”, Proceedings of the Fourth World Congress of the Council of Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, Hong Kong, 5-9 November, pp.735-750.
- A.W. Rofail and K.C.S. Kwok, 1999, “The effect of sunshading elements on Cladding Pressures”, 10th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- C. Mans, A. Rofail, “Wind loads on balustrades”, 11th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Lubbock, Texas, U.S.A. June 2 – 5, 2003.
- S.T. Smith and A.W. Rofail, 1994, “A Comparison Between Wind Tunnel Cladding Pressures and Code Estimates”, Proceedings of the Australasian Structural Engineering Conference, September 21-23.
- A. Rofail, M. Vallis, 2011, “Wind Loads on sunshade elements” 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Amsterdam.
Wind Tunnel Modelling Techniques
- J.D. Holmes, A.W.Rofail and L.J.Aurelius, 2003, “High frequency base balance methodologies for tall buildings with torsional and coupled resonant modes”, 11th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Lubbock, Texas, June 2003
- L. J. Aurelius and A.W. Rofail, 2001, “Performance of Windtech’s slatted roof blockage tolerant boundary layer wind tunnel in 3D flow”, 9th AWES Workshop, Townsville, 12-13 July, 2001
- A.W. Rofail and L.J.Aurelius, 2004, “A Wind Tunnel Modelling Methodology for the determination of the Internal and Net Design Pressures for Tall Buildings having operable facades”, International Conference on Building Envelope Systems and Technologies, Sydney, 29th March to 2nd April.
Pedestrian Wind Environment
- A.W. Rofail, 2007, Comparison of wind environment criteria against field observations, 12th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Cairns Australia July 2007.
- A.W. Rofail, 2008, Developing Habitable Wind Environments, 8th World Congress of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, Dubai, March 2008.
- A.W. Rofail and S. Fernando, 2000, “Case Study: Assessment and Optimisation of natural ventilation for the University of NSW main service tunnel”, 8th AWES Worksop, Perth, 10-11 February, 2000.
- A.W. Rofail and L.J.Aurelius, 2004, “Performance of an auxiliary natural ventilation system”, Australasian Wind Engineering Workshop, Darwin, June 28-29, 2004.
- A. Rofail, N. Truong, H. AboShosha, 2011, “Designing integrated natural and forced ventilated car parks using wind tunnel and numerical modelling”, 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Amsterdam.
- A.W. Rofail and R. Tonin, 2000, “An Exploration of Wind-Noise in Buildings”, 8th AWES Workshop, Perth, 10-11 February, 2000.